Question: Write the the question you have been assigned
or the prompt you are going to answer with your essay in the box below.
Reminder: If you make a final change to your thesis, always double-check your concluding paragraph. It might need adjustment, as well.
Writers Workshop: Writer Resources. Grammar Handbook; Citation Styles; ESL Resources; Writing Tips; Writing Tips: Thesis Statements. Defining the Thesis ...
1. Determine the type, purpose, and audience of your paper.
2. Ask a question, then make the answer your thesis statement.
3. Take a stance, then ensure that it is provable.
4. State it in two parts: a clear topic and a brief summary of what you will say.
5. Limit the thesis to one or two sentences.
In France, the academic dissertation or thesis is called a thèse and it is reserved for the final work of doctoral candidates. The minimum page length is generally (and not formally) 100 pages (or about 400,000 characters), but is usually several times longer (except for technical theses and for "exact sciences" such as physics and maths).
an explanation of the topic or purpose of a research paper
Copyright © 2013 University of Illinois Board of Trustees • College of Liberal Arts & Sciences • University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign • Developed by ATLAS